5 Healthy Snacks for 150 Calories or Less
The holidays bring with them a tendency to snack. Not only are the cravings hard to avoid, but also the options in front of us aren’t always the healthiest choice.
There’s a way to answer the call of the snack attack, while still maintaining healthier eating habits. Here are five great snacks that take care of the cravings without piling on the calories:
• Protein Snack Bar – There are plenty of snack bars to choose from with 150 calories or less. For the most staying power, look for one that has some protein – 10 grams or so per serving is a good target.
• Vegetables and Hummus Dip – 1/3 cup (80 g) hummus + cucumber, carrot, celery sticks. About 150 calories, 6 grams of protein.
• Shrimp + Cocktail Sauce – 3 ounces (85 g) cooked whole shrimp dipped in 3 TBSP of salsa or cocktail sauce. About 150 calories, 20 grams of protein.
• Quick Quinoa Salad – Mix together ½ cup (90 g) cold leftover cooked quinoa, with ¼ cup (30 g) minced veggies/parsley + 1 oz. (30 g) fat-free feta cheese. Drizzle with lemon juice, season with salt and pepper. About 150 calories, 16 grams of protein.
• Salmon and Crackers – Mix 2 ounces (60 g) canned salmon with 1 TBSP of Dijon mustard. Spread on 4 medium-sized, whole-grain crackers. About 145 calories, 13 grams of protein.